Saturday, 24 October 2009

CHRISTMAS PERSPECTIVE!

Yes, the horrible truth is that it is only a few weeks to Christmas and, as the TV pundits have just told as, many people only have 2 more pay days before then. Of course, quite a few unlucky people don't have any paydays at all, which somehow puts it all into perspective for me. I am already tired of the TV ads for expensive perfumes or even more expensive gifts from wherever and soon we'll be treated to adverts of tables full of party food, telling the lie that we will somehow be inadequate if we don't invite the neighbours in for drinks and piles of finger food!
Listen carefully to this advertising and you will soon realise that it tries to convince us that everyone else is buying their kids an X-box or whatever the latest "must-have" toy is this year. Well, I think many people won't have the cash to do it - and I hope those people don't use their credit card instead. I believe our children will grow up into better and more resourceful adults if they understand that there are things that their parents just cannot afford, that money has to be earned and that if you lose your job, or aren't very well paid, then some of these things just cannot be bought. But they can be saved for.
I'm reluctant to admit that cynical advertising, capitalising on Christmas, almost makes me want to cancel the whole thing! Actually I'll be starting my Christmas shopping soon and I'll be looking out for a bargain or two in the charity shops as well.However, I certainly won't be spending what I can't afford.
Happy Christmas Present Hunting!

1 comment:

furrypig said...

ooh it's coming round fast again isn't it!! I shop throughout the year and have quite a lot already also I am always on moneysavingexpert looking out for tips and bargains!